The Bellevue History
Formerly known as the Horse & Jockey and located in the Portfield area of Haverfordwest, an area at one time well known for its racecourse nearby.
James Pugh was the landlord from 1852 to 1861 who also ran the Rutzen Arms in Narberth.
During the 1880s Mrs Sarah Ambrey became the licensee and she changed the name to the Bellevue, which means beautiful view in French. As one of the first buildings at the top of the hill, surrounded by paddocks, and facing east towards the Preseli mountains, it would have been appropriately named
Thomas Leigh, landlord in the early 20th century had a reputation for getting into trouble with the town magistrates.
Later, the Bellevue had a strict ‘men only’ rule with the ladies being forced to drink in the families private quarters.
By the late 1990s it had closed but thankfully reopened at a later date.
In the present day, it is run by happy couple, Laura and Alex. They have held on to “The Belle Vue” as a title but have moved the business forward, from its days as a public house, to create a restaurant that is called “Belle Vue Brasserie”.
bellevue brasserie today
Belle Vue Brasserie is an unpretentious restaurant thats serving wines, spirits, beers, soft drinks and simple but delicious hearty food.